Decor or Gifts Made with Vinyl? Not a great idea

The convenience and affordability of vinyl has made it one of the most popular options for decorating items around the home and on gifts. However, the risks associated with using vinyl are significant and should not be ignored.

Vinyl is made from PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which is an inexpensive and toxic material. Vinyl products off-gas chemicals, including dangerous VOCs (volatile organic compounds), formaldehyde, and heavy metals, that can cause respiratory issues, eye, nose, and throat irritation, headaches, and other health issues. These chemicals are also harmful to the environment.

Additionally, vinyl may cause damage to items and surfaces. This is especially true if you do not follow the manufacturer's instructions or you are using low-quality vinyl. The adhesive from vinyl can seep into surfaces, leaving stains and residues that are difficult to remove. The high-temperature needed to adhere the vinyl can cause heat-related damage as well.

To avoid the potential hazards associated with using vinyl, look for non-toxic and environmentally-friendly options for decorating your home and for your gifts. There are many products that are just as attractive and budget-friendly but do not have the harmful toxins and off-gassing associated with vinyl. By investing in healthier, safer alternatives, you can be sure that your home and the people in it will be safe.
Back to blog